Uktar 12th, 1372 DR The Year of Wild Magic
Day 33 – Dawn
The Well of Demons: Entry Passageways
The party takes the clues gathered from the Tieflings encounter to Orontor at the Customs House. Orontor knows little further information but remarks that the Bronze Warder the party encountered are for use by Mages of Sarunn and their use in this way by Paldemar is not sanctioned.
The party heads off down The Deep Stair to the Well of Demons. On reaching the area marked on the map the party finds a room with 5 columns each with a carved Minotaur faces. When Cymbalta entered the room, one face animated and spoke claiming unworthy entrants will be enslaved followed by a cryptic comment of “Mask, Bell, Blade, Tome”
Once in the room, small creatures appeared from holes around the top of the room and a few ghouls from the back of the room. Cymbalta pulled back to allow Happy to enter the room. As soon as Happy did a tentacle came up from the floor and wrapped itself around him. Apparently a larger creature was under the room and it’s tentacles could strike at distance.
The party focused on the creatures attached to the columns bringing them down to the floor and concentrating their fire. The ghouls posed a greater threat with their paralyzingly touch and soon become the next target.
The tentacle attacks continued to be annoying but with only an occassional tentacle to target the beast escaped the majority of attention. Sneezy dropped a Fountain of Flame on top of the creature which scorched the ghouls around it but didn’t have the desired effect on the tentacled beast below.
Once the ghouls were dispatched the party concentrated on the tentacled beast and a combination of halberd, bow and magic strikes eventually killed it.
On examining the room and performing Arcana checks, a strong magical force was detected to the south-west. The party headed off through the southern corridor.
At the end of the corridor the party was met by 3 apparitions, a large human fighter in dishevelled chainmail, a dwarf in plate mail and an elvish female in wizardly robes.
The fighter, Valdrog the Brute, steps forward and challenges the party to a test of strength. Bashful responds and demonstrates his strength by lifting the largest boulder nearby.
Sir Terris, the dwarf paladin, challenges the party to a test of wisdom. Bashful & Haggis step forward and remember their religious training and answer the questions as best they can.
Mandara the Mystic poses intelligence tests to the party. Sneezy answers most of these questions successfully.
It appears the party must complete the Proving Grounds Test to advance. As a result of their successful answers to the spectral queries they receive the following tips:
* This place is the Proving Grounds, a testing place for worshipers of the Demon Lord Baphomet. You must find four items: a knife, a mask, a bell and a book. You must place each of these items on one of four circles of runes found in this complex. The items must be placed on the runes at the exact same time.
* Three of the items are held within chambers built to test Baphomet’s worshippers. You can find these chambers to the North, West and South of where we now stand, through these eastern double doors and then through another set of double doors that leads to the west.
* The fourth item, the book, is on an altar in a small shrine to the East.
* To the east of the Proving Grounds is the inner sanctum. It’s door opens only when the proper ceremony is completed. The items used for the ceremony disappear if you try to remove them from the Well of Demons, and upon completion of the ceremony they return to their former locations.
* Completing the ceremony summons the terrible Guardian and activates several traps in the area. The Guardian is a green dragon imprisoned here. It can swoop past its prey and attack. It emerges from a great pit in the center of the complex.
* Each of the chambers in this complex has a magical trap designed to harass intruders. The central corridor is the fastest way to move around, but it also has its own trap: a crushing sphere of magical force that rolls along its length.
Hints from the ghostly warriors (above)
Big Tentacled Beastie, Ghoul, Vorpal Broccoli
Video is listed on YouTube at Session 33